Sunday 21 September 2014

Butterscotch Muffins

 


Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins
Bluffing with my muffin.
What exactly is butterscotch? And what exactly is a muffin? Like, I know what a muffin is...it's cake that's acceptable to eat for breakfast! I don't need a reason to eat cake for breakfast, I'll eat a slice of Devils Food Cake at 7am in the morning, I'm like the honey badger, I don't care. But for the rest of the population, muffins are the answer.


Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins Puca pants
Whenever this little angel is over and I'm in the kitchen, she is sure to be at my feet in case anything needs eating.
A muffin differs itself from cake by having more flour, slightly less sugar and the way you mix them is different. The batter for a muffin mix isn't smooth, its lumpy and less wet. And also, muffins don't have icing or frosting but sometimes when they're extra awesome muffins, they have a glaze. These ones don't have a glaze so now I feel like I should have made a glaze but now there's somewhere to aim for.

Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins equipment
This is all the equipment you need! Minimal washing up!
Now, butterscotch. What's it's story? It's basically caramel but instead of being made with caster sugar, it's made with brown sugar exclusively. From what I can find, it's pretty much caramel. Caramels will often have cream added but butterscotch does not. Butterscotch also should have a higher proportion of butter Other than that, they're brothers from the same mother.


Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins ingredients
And this is all the ingredients you'll need! 8 things.
This is another super easy recipe. As always, flour is important and even though muffins are more of a bread texture than a cupcake, I still used cake flour as I think the softer texture is more desirable. The ratio of wet to dry will lend itself to the bready quality of a muffin.


Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins wet to dry
This is the well in the centre, adding the wet ingredients to the dry.


Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins well in centre
Mix the wet ingredients in the centre like shown above, then pull the dry ingredients in.


Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins mixed batter
And then you're almost done!
I add white chocolate chips to the muffins cos why the hell not. The butterscotch batter would match well with blueberries or raspberries too and then you might feel more legitimate if you eat them for breakfast.


Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins in the tin
Fill the cases all the way to top so the muffin can break free and do its own thang...
The last thing I will say before we get down to the recipe is that like Elaine from Seinfeld, I like when the muffin breaks free from the pan and does it's own thing. So if you're awesome and like that too, ensure that you fill the muffin cases right to the top. Cases can be made out of a square of baking paper which I fold into triangles to make them sit better in the muffin pan cavity. Push them in and fill them up to the top.
Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins golden muffins out of the oven

So there you go, give them a go! Did I mention they're one bowl muffins? I didn't, I can see I didn't cos I can read what I wrote. These are one bowl muffins! Hardly any washing up! What are you waiting for?!
 
Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins plated up
Morning sunshine and a muffin!
 
Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins inside the muffin
Dense goodness of a muffin. So good.
 

Cassie Cakes Butterscotch Muffins in a row
Top of the muffin TO YOU!

Muffins are awesome.

Butterscotch Muffins


Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time:  30 mins
 
Servings: 8 muffins
 
2 1/2 (375g) cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 cup tightly packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cups (310ml) buttermilk
100g butter, melted
1 egg, free range
150g white chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C
  2. Line a 6 hole muffin pan with baking paper.
  3. Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda into a large bowl.
  4. Stir in sugar until fully combined.
  5. Make a well in the centre of the sugar and flour mixture.
  6. Pour the buttermilk and melted butter into the well and break the egg in.
  7. Lightly beat the wet ingredients in the centre of the dry ingredients before pulling the dry ingredients in and mixing well.
  8. Add the white chocolate chips and combine. Do not overmix.
  9. Fill each cavity of the muffin tin with batter to the top.
  10. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Hi. Mine turned out more "cakey" than muffin. I did add an additional egg. Would that be why? They are still delicious but not like a muffin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @unknown,read my comment to Cassie, I guess you put 2 1/2 cups and that's why the muffins turn out like a cake?

      Hi Cassie, I think the amount of flour is somehow wrong, <2 1/2 (375g) cups self-raising flour>, it's either 375g( 1 1/2 cups or 2 1/2 cups that would be 625g, which one is it?

      Delete
    2. I think it's the combination of self-raising flour and then the extra raising agents - baking powder/bi-carb soda. It sounds like it would be very light and fluffy

      Delete
  2. Hi Cassie, I think the amount of flour is somehow wrong, <2 1/2 (375g) cups self-raising flour>, it's either 375g( 1 1/2 cups or 2 1/2 cups that would be 625g, which one is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These worked out so well, are huge, and are delicious! They taste a bit like cornbread though. They are so addicting! Yum Yum in my tum!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger
Design byJasmineJoy